Marcel Breuer ca.
Marcel Breuer was an apprentice at the Bauhaus when he conceived the world’s first tubular steel chair.
Inspired by the frame of a bicycle, a product he greatly admired for its functional design, Breuer saw tubular steel as a way of building a more transparent chair.
Influenced by the constructivist theories of the Dutch De Stjil movement, Breuer took a familiar form — in this case the classic club chair — and reduced it to its elemental lines and planes.
The composition of leather strips suspended on steel tubes was the first chair of its kind.
Breuer later named the chair after Wassily Kandinsky, the first person to whom he showed the chair.
- Seat Options
- Belting Leather: 27 Spinneybeck® belting leather colors with edges dyed to match
- Cowhide Leather: Black, White, Beige and Light Brown Spinneybeck® thick cowhide leathers
- Haired Hide: 8 Spinneybeck® haired hide options
- Canvas: Natural Canvas
- Frame is seamless tubular steel with a polished chrome or 18k gold finish
- Four plastic glides snap into pre-drilled holes on base of the chair
- The KnollStudio logo and signature of Marcel Breuer are stamped into the base of the chair
Wassily™ Chair by Knoll features 2 photos and has BIM / CAD 3D models.
This Seating Visitor / Side / Guest is available in commercial grade.
Request a quote today to learn more about how you can purchase Wassily™ Chair in your next design project.